Cheesy Roasted Black-eyed Pea Casserole Recipe With Mushrooms, Bacon & Spinach Will Make You a Believer by Donna John
Black-eyed peas can sometimes be boring. But not this black-eyed pea recipe! This roasted black-eyed pea casserole recipe has mushrooms, spinach and lots of cheese. It is absolutely delicious and will make you believe in the luck black-eyed peas are said to bring in the new year.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours (approximately)
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 6 strips bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 package (8 ounces) fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots (about 3 large)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black-eyed-peas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth (divided)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Tabasco sauce)
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese or Parmesan cheese (I used an Italian blend)
- 2 - 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Add the mushrooms and shallots to the bacon fat. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the black-eyed peas, half the chicken broth, bacon and hot sauce. Season with black pepper.
- Pour the mixture into a 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake in preheated 350-degree F oven for about 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Add the remaining chicken broth and start stirring in the spinach leaves.
- One the spinach as wilted down, stir in the cheese.
- Bake another 20 to 30 minutes, stirring a couple of times during cooking.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
13x9-inch Baking Pans $9 & Up
Black-eyed Peas $2 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Hot Sauce $2 & Up
Tabasco Sauce $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.