Beef Stifado Recipe: This Greek Stew Recipe Is Aromatic, Comforting & Easy to Make by 30Seconds Food
Stifado is a Greek stew recipe made with tomatoes, spring or pearl onions and aromatic spices. Typically, stifado is made with rabbit, but beef is often used instead. This stifado recipe uses beef stew meat and smells heavenly as it simmers. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound pearl onions or small spring onions, peeled
- fresh chopped herbs, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add half of the stew meat and brown on all sides. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining stew meat. Remove to a plate.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and cook, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Put the beef back into the pot. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest, tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring often, about 1 hour.
- While the stew cooks, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add the pearl or spring onions and cook, stirring, until they begin to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add the pearl onions to the stew and simmer, uncovered, another 15 to 20 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
Note: If you can't find fresh pearl or spring onions, you could use a bag of frozen pearl onions.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.