Skinny Cashew Chicken Recipe: A Fantastic Asian Crock Pot™ Recipe by Sarah Amona
Put that wok and oil for frying away! This easy cashew chicken recipe cooks in a slow cooker, so you have time to do other things while it becomes delicious. And it's a healthier version of cashew chicken with less sugar. Perfect!
Chicken breast is cut into bite-sized pieces before being coated in a sauce made with reduced-sodium soy sauce, reduced-sugar ketchup, red wine vinegar, a sugar substitute, garlic and ginger. The chicken cooks for four to eight hours in a slow cooker until cooked through and tender. Cashews and green onions complete the Asian recipe.
Serve this slow-cooked easy skinny cashew chicken over brown rice or quinoa for a healthy dinner the whole family will dig into. Pack the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 1/2 to 3 hours
Total Time: 2 1/2 to 3 hours
- 1 1/2 pounds (24 ounces) chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sugar ketchup
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 packet stevia or sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ounce cashews, chopped
- sliced green onions (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, if desired. Brown chicken in the skillet, stirring occasionally, for about 3 to 4 minutes. (It will continue to cook in the slow cooker.) Add chicken to the slow cooker.
- To make the sauce, combine soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, sweetener of choice, garlic and ginger in a small bowl. Pour the sauce over chicken. Gently toss chicken with sauce to coat.
- Cook on LOW for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Since the chicken is browned in the skillet first, it doesn't need a lot of time in the slow cooker. This method results in moist, chunks of chicken. If you want the chicken to be shredded in texture, you can use whole raw chicken breasts and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Then shred the chicken with a fork after cooking. Garnish with cashews and sliced green onions.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Slow Cookers $20 & Up
Lite Soy Sauce $3 & Up
Rice Wine Vinegar $2 & Up
Reduced Sugar Ketchup $3 & Up
Stevia $4 & Up
Ground Ginger $3 & Up
Cashews $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.