Crispy Cherry Cola Chicken Wings Recipe: Baked Sweet & Sticky Goodness by Danielle Caminiti
These cherry cola chicken wings are equally crispy, sticky, sweet with just enough kick for all to enjoy. If your family and friends are always rooting for a sports team no matter what and you need a dish to fill their tummies, or if you really want to wow your guests for a backyard BBQ, this will be your go-to chicken wing recipe.
The wings are baked in the oven before being coated with a sweet barbecue sauce. The BBQ sauce is made with onion, garlic, jalapenos, garlic powder, ground mustard, black pepper, cherry cola, red wine vinegar, smoked paprika and ketchup. Sounds delicious, right? The sauce is pour over the crispy wings, baked for a few more minutes, and then they are ready to devour.
Serve these crispy sweeet and sticky cola chicken wings as an appetizer, snack or as a main dish with your favorite side dishes. Potato salad, cole slaw or macaroni salad would be a nice side dish for these wings.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings, separated into drumettes and wing pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 chopped jalapeños
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cherry cola
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup ketchup
Here's how to make it:
- Position in oven rack in the top third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the chicken wings on a prepared baking sheet. Toss with 3 tablespoons of oil, 1 tablespoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper. Bake until the wings are completely cooked through and just beginning to brown, about 25 minutes. Open the oven and flip the wings over onto the other side and cook another 5 minutes.
- While the chicken wings bake, prepare the barbecue sauce. Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the red onions and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and jalapeño, cooking an additional minute. Add the garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, mustard powder and black pepper. Toss the spices until fragrant and deep maroon in color, about 1 minute. Star in the cherry soda, red wine vinegar and ketchup until combined. Bring to a boil and cook until the sauce has thickened and reduced, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly and then purée in a blender until smooth. Extra sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for up to one week or frozen for the next time around.
- When the wings are cooked through and beginning to brown, remove the baking sheet and turn the oven to broil setting. Pour the sauce over the wings, toss to coat and then put them back on to the broiler until they are crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.