Traditional Amish White Bread Recipe From Pennsylvania Dutch Country by 30Seconds Food
In Amish homes, pretty much everything is made from scratch – including the bread. This easy Amish white bread recipe is simple to prepare and makes the most incredible sandwiches.
If you've been thinking about trying your hand at baking bread, this traditional Amish recipe for white bread is a good place to start. Enjoy the simple goodness!
Prep Time: 2 hours (approximately)
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/2 hours
Servings: Makes 2 loaves
- 2 cups warm water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 cups bread flour
Here's how to make it:
- Put the warm water, sugar and yeast into a bowl. Stir to dissolve and let it sit until it foams and bubbles.
- Add the salt. Slowly start adding the flour, about a cup at a time, until a dough forms.
- Put the dough onto a floured work surface. Knead until smooth, then put the dough into an oiled bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and punch it down. Knead again for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cut the dough in half and put into two oiled loaf pans. Cover and let it rise again for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until golden.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Loaf Pans $8 & Up
Active Dry Yeast $4 & Up
Bread Flour $3 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Salt $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.