Creamy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe With Crunchy Crostini: The Perfect Soup Combo for Colder Days by Ann Marie Gardinier Halstead
If you love soup or squash, or better yet both, this recipe is for you! I love vegetables, especially squash, so I love butternut squash ravioli and soup, too. This creamy soup recipe is one of the best!
This savory soup recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner, and it comes with the bonus of a cheese crostini to serve with the soup. A perfect combination for the colder days, or the need-for-comfort-food days.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 7 to 8 cups)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 baguette, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup (2 ounces) grated fontina cheese
Here's how to make it:
- In a stockpot, melt butter and oil together over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add the squash and the chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the sage. Continue to boil until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Keep the soup warm over low heat.
- To make the crostini, put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sage. Sprinkle the cheese on top and season with salt, to taste. Bake until the cheese has melted and the bread is light golden, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the crostini.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Stockpots $10 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Chicken Stock $1 & Up
Blenders $25 & Up
Food Processors $30 & Up
Immersion Blenders $15 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.