Easy Homemade Pita Bread Recipe: Make Fresh Pita Bread in No Time by 30Seconds Food
Pita bread can easily be made at home. Really! This easy pita bread recipe takes a little time, but the steps are simple. And the results are delicious.
Pita is a Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flatbread made with yeast. The bread is cut so it has a pocket to hold all sorts of savory ingredients, from ground beef to chicken to sandwich meats to meatballs to tuna salad, chicken salad and egg salad. The homemade pita bread is often served with spreads, hummus and dips.
After the dough made with water, sugar, salt active dry yeast and flour rises for about two hours, it is cut into pieces, rolled out with a rolling pin and cooked in a skillet. You want the pita bread to puff up and start getting brown spots.
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Prep Time: 3 1/2 hours
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours and 40 minutes
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 package active dry active yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (approximately)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Here's how to make it:
- Put the water, sugar, yeast and 1 cup of the flour into the bowl of a stand mixer. Let it sit until it bubbles, about 15 minutes.
- After it bubbles, add the olive oil, salt and 1 1/2 cups more flour. Mix on low using the dough hook until it is soft and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. If this doesn't happen, add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cups more flour and continue to mix.
- Remove the dough and knead for about 5 minutes on a floured work surface.
- Put the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a towel and let it rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and put it onto a floured work surface. Cut the dough into 8 even pieces. Roll the dough into balls. Cover and allow them to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Roll the balls with a rolling pin into round pitas, about 1/4-inch thick. Let the pitas rest about 20 minutes.
- To cook, oil a skillet with olive oil. Put the pita into the skillet over medium-high heat and cook until it begins to puff up, about 2 minutes. Flip them over and cook about 2 minutes more.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.