Hella Good Huevos Rancheros Recipe: An Award-Winning Cook’s Favorite Breakfast Recipe by Craig Couture
My day job is teaching. But my hobby is cooking (including competitive cooking!). I cook a variety of foods, from the every day meals my family enjoys to the more special dishes that I’m more likely to serve when we have guests over. Huevos rancheros (“ranch eggs”) is the latter, which I often make for guests for breakfast, especially at the holidays. I hope your guests (and you!) enjoy it, too.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus more garnish
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or olive oil
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced or diced, for garnish
- sour cream and taco sauce, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the tomatoes (with juices), onion, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender and puree until smooth. Add to a pan and simmer over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chorizo. Add to the sauce and cover again.
- Add 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil to the chorizo fat in the large skillet. Place a tortilla in the skillet and cover in the oil and fat. Cook until light golden, but not crisp. Cook the remaining tortillas the same way (add a bit more oil to the pan if necessary). They should be red and warm from the chorizo fat.
- Put the hot refried beans on the warm tortillas. Fry or poach an egg for each tortilla you serve. Put one egg on each tortilla and spoon the warm sauce over the eggs.
- Add your choice of cheese and sliced or diced avocado on top as well as sour cream and taco sauce. Add cilantro as garnish.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Blenders $20 & Up
Skillets $10 & Up
Whole Tomatoes $2 & Up
Corn Tortillas $2 & Up
Refried Beans $2 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.