Quick Cornbread & Bread Stuffing Recipe: The Best of Both Worlds by Donna John
My grandma and mom always made cornbread stuffing for Thanksgiving. I love it, but bread stuffing is also delicious. What to do? A few years ago this herbed cornbread and bread stuffing recipe made its debut at my Thanksgiving table. It was a hit.
To make this bread and cornbread stuffing recipe you will need a loaf of French bread, a pan of baked cornbread, butter, onion, celery, chicken broth, dried basil, dried thyme, fresh rosemary, fresh parsley and poultry seasoning (optional, but it does add great flavor).
Be sure to let your bread dry before preparing this cornbread stuffing for the best results (see Recipe Notes). Serve this easy stuffing as a side dish with dinner anytime or at your special Thanksgiving an Christmas dinners.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus time to dry the bread
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 to 40 minutes plus time to dry the bread
- 1 loaf crusty French bread, cut into cubes and dried (about 6 to 8 cups)
- 1 square pan cornbread, cut into cubes and dried (I used a cornbread mix)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 - 5 cups chicken broth (I used low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- poultry seasoning, optional (I added a couple shakes)
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking Dishes
- Airtight Containers
- 13x9-inch Baking Pan
- To dry the bread and cornbread, lay the cubes onto a baking sheet and let them sit on the counter for one to two days. You could also dry them faster in a low-heat oven (about 250 degrees F) for about 30 minutes.
- Switch up the herbs to fit your family's tastes and what you have on hand.
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Cook the onion and celery until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the basil, thyme, rosemary, parsley and chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Put the bread and cornbread cubes into a large bowl. Slowly start ladling in the hot chicken broth and mixing. Add enough broth so that everything is evenly moistened. You do not want to add too much broth or it will get mushy. Season with salt and pepper and add more herbs, if desired. Sprinkle in some poultry seasoning, too, if using.
- Pour the mixture into a 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 12.6g
Saturated Fat: 5.7g
Total Carbohydrate: 43.5g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9g
Total Sugars: 2.2g
Vitamin D: 5mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.