Broccoli al Vapore With Cream Sauce Recipe: This Steamed Broccoli With Parmesan Sauce Side Dish Should Be the Main Course by Donna John
A local Italian restaurant in my small town makes the most amazing broccoli recipe. They call it broccoli al vapore (translation: steamed) with cream sauce. I call it so good, I almost forget to eat my manicotti. It's a succulent side dish that's so delicious, it should be the main course for dinner.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more the top
- pinch of nutmeg
Here's how to make it:
- Steam the broccoli about 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp tender.
- In a saucepot, whisk together the flour and milk until smooth. Cook over medium-low heat until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the broccoli into a shallow baking dish or individual serving dishes. Spoon the Parmesan sauce over the broccoli. Pop under the broiler for about 1 minute just to get a very light brown. Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.