Easy Chicken Yassa Recipe: Yassa au Poulet Chicken Recipe Is West African Comfort Food by 30Seconds Food
Chicken yassa is a popular dinner dish from West Africa. Also called yassa au poulet, this flavorful chicken recipe is made with onions (lots of onions), lemon and mustard. Yep, there's tons of flavor in this succulent chicken dinner recipe.
Yassa chicken has French roots but was popularized in Senegal, where it is known as a traditional comfort food recipe.
Prep Time: 8 hours to overnight to marinate
Cook Time: 45 to 50 minutes
Total Time: 45 to 50 minutes plus time to marinate
- 4 - 6 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 yellow onions, rough chopped
- 8 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- ground cayenne, to taste
Here's how to make it:
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a plastic zipper bag. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Add the chicken and marinate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat the olive oil in a skillet. Remove the chicken from the marinade (save the marinade!) and brown well on both sides in the hot oil. Remove to a plate.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the onions from the marinade liquid. Cook them in the same pan until they begin to lightly brown and soften, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the marinade and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Put the chicken and drippings back into the pan. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 25 to 30 minutes. You could also finish this in a 375-degree F oven for about 30 minutes.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.