Fun Halloween Recipes: Spooky Fried Potato Straws Recipe Looks Like a Spider Nest by Chef Gigi
Who wouldn't love to dig into this pile of fried shoestring potatoes – even if they have spooky spiders crawling all over them? This easy Halloween recipe will delight kids and adults.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- canola oil, for frying
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes
- garlic salt
- Parmesan cheese
- black sesame seeds
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- plastic spiders, for decorating
Here's how to make it:
- Pour about 3 to 4 inches of oil into a large pot or deep fryer. Attach a deep-fry thermometer to monitor the temperature and heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- While the oil is heating, wash and peel potatoes and remove any dark spots. Using a mandoline slicer fitted with the julienne blade, slice potatoes into matchsticks. You could also cut them uniformly by hand. Soak the cut potatoes in a bowl of ice water for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the water bath and place on paper towels or clean dishcloths to dry completely. Pat the potatoes dry or use a salad spinner, if available.
- Fry the potatoes a little at a time. Watch the oil temperature and do not let it drop below 350 degrees F. Fry for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer the cooked potatoes with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-covered surface. Season with salt and black pepper. If desired, add other spices or seasonings at this time. Repeat the process until all potatoes are fried.
- Pile the potatoes high onto a plate and dust with grated Parmesan cheese, sesame seeds, parsley and plastic spiders.
Pro Tip: Be sure not to add too many potatoes at one time. The hot oil will bubble in volume at least three times its size. Bubbling over hot oil on a flame could start a kitchen fire. Make sure to have an extinguisher handy any time you are cooking.
Note: The plastic spiders could be choking hazards for small children.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Deep Fryers $15 & Up
Mandoline Slicers $10 & Up
Canola Oil $2 & Up
Garlic Salt $3 & Up
Black Sesame Seeds $3 & Up
Plastic Spiders $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.