Easy Pâte à Choux Recipe: This Is the Magical French Pastry Dough Eclairs & Cream Puffs Are Made Of by Chef Gigi
Use this versatile pâte à choux dough recipe for cream puffs, eclairs, profiteroles or any sweet or savory applications. Sometimes I put my chicken pot pie filling in large puffs made from this dough. So good! My family goes crazy for them.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, leveled
- 4 large eggs, beaten
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the butter, water, milk, salt and granulated sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a simmer and allow the butter to melt.
- Once simmering, reduce heat to low and add the flour all at once. Stir until the flour is completely incorporated and thick dough clumps into a ball. Mash around cooking the raw flour and allowing the water to evaporate, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or, if using a handheld mixer, a large mixing bowl. Allow to cool down for a few minutes before adding the eggs in the next step.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the eggs in three to four different additions, mixing for 30 seconds between each addition. The mixture will look like you made a mistake at first but will begin to come together. Trust yourself.
- Stop the mixer when the choux pastry is shiny, thick and smooth with a pipeable consistency. Use immediately or cover in an air-locked sealed container and refrigerate for up to three days.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Stand Mixers $40 & Up
Electric Mixers $12 & Up
Saucepots $10 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.