Baked Pepperoni, Pork & Potato Pizza Casserole Recipe: A Fun Twist for Pizza Night by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Our 30Seconds Resident Chef
Your family will line up for this hearty pizza casserole recipe. Make two so you can keep one in the freezer for another night. This one is my favorite, just as a combination pizza, but you can add anything you like.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Total Time: 1 Hour 15 minutes
- 1 pound ground pork
- 10 medium Yukon gold potatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 - 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup brown cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 cups marinara sauce, homemade or your favorite jar
- 3 - 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 20 slices pepperoni
- 3 tomatoes, sliced in 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 green bell pepper, diced into large chunks
- 1/2 cup whole, pitted black olives
Here's how to make it:
- In a bowl, toss the potatoes with the cream. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a sauté pan over high heat for 2 to 4 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, onions, bell peppers, pork, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook until the pork is cooked through, breaking up the sausage and sweating the onions until translucent and the mushrooms and bell peppers are partially cooked. Add the marinara sauce. Cook an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a plate and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place half the tomato sauce mixture in an even layer in a prepared 13x9-inch baking dish or a 12- to 14-inch cast iron pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange one layer of alternating potatoes and tomatoes on top of the tomato and sausage layer. Layer a couple of slices of pepperoni and scatter some olives. Add a layer of cheese. Season with salt and a healthy pinch of pepper.
- Repeat with an additional layer just like making a lasagna, completing the casserole with the tomatoes on top. Add a few black olives, more mozzarella cheese and a sprinkling of Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Press the mixture down with the back of a clean spoon so the liquid will come up through the layers and coat everything evenly except the cheese.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with a sheet of aluminum foil sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until the potatoes are tender when pierced, about 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and uncover it. Turn the oven up to 450 degrees F and return to the oven, uncovered, and bake until the juices have thickened and the top is nice and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
13x9-inch Baking Pans $9 & Up
Cast Iron Skillets $10 & Up
Italian Seasoning $3 & Up
Marinara Sauce $2 & Up
Black Olives $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.