Shrunken Potato Heads Recipe: A Creepy Halloween Side Dish by Chef Gigi
Need a spooky Halloween side dish or snack? These easy Halloween shrunken head potatoes are gorgeously ghoulish. Kids and adults will love dunking shrunken potato heads into a creepy slime dip (aka avocado dip, see recipe below), gumbo, soup, etouffe, ranch dressing or serve as a side dish with chicken, beef or fish.
To make these Halloween potatoes you will need elongated potatoes and olive oil. If you want to dunk them in the avocado dip, grab an avocado, sour cream, garlic, lemon juice and fresh chives. You can also dip them in marinara sauce (aka blood) or even ranch dressing.
Halloween party food doesn't get easier than this! What a fun recipe for Halloween dinner!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 24 small elongated potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 avocado, halved, pit removed and peeled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 bunch chives, snipped
- Plump fingerling potatoes work well for this recipe. You could also use small Yukon gold potatoes.
- Store the potatoes in an airtight container.
- If you have leftover potatoes, chop them up for potato salad or breakfast potatoes.
Here's how to make it:
- Use the end of a small, sharp knife to carefully carve faces into the potatoes by carefully digging the point of the knife 1/4 to 1/2 inch into the potato and carve out eyes, noses and mouths. Place the potatoes on a baking tray, drizzle with the oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Make sure all the faces are facing upwards. Roast in a preheated 400-degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes until golden and crispy and, of course, shrunken and ghoulish.
- If making the avocado dip, mash the avocado in a bowl with a fork. Stir in the sour cream, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice and whisk to combine. Top with the chives.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 4g
Saturated Fat: 1.2g
Total Carbohydrate: 27.8g
Dietary Fiber: 4.7g
Total Sugars: 2g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.