Simple Amish Chicken Pot Pie Recipe: An Old-fashioned Pot Pie Recipe Straight From Pennsylvania Dutch Country by 30Seconds Food
We know the Amish make a good ground beef casserole, shipwreck casserole, potato salad, beef barley soup and baked chicken, but just wait until you taste this Amish chicken pot pie recipe! This recipe can easily be doubled if you feel like sharing or want to freeze a pie for later.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes to 1 hour
Total Time: 55 minutes to 1 hour and 5 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 - 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 box refrigerated pie crusts
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the potatoes and carrots in boiling, salted water until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add the chicken bouillon granules. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in the milk and chicken broth until smooth. Cook, stirring, about 2 to 3 minutes or until it thickens.
- Add the chicken, peas, carrots and potatoes. Stir to combine.
- Put the bottom pie crust into a pie plate. Pour in the filling. Top with the second pie crust. Flute the edges to seal. Cut a few slits in the top of the crust to vent.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.