Spicy Creamed Potato Leek Soup Recipe With Crispy Bacon Is Easy & Crazy Delicious by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Our 30Seconds Resident Chef
This easy potato and leek soup recipe is crazy delicious. It's creamy, hearty and comes with a kick from the white pepper. My family can't get enough of this savory soup.
This comforting creamy potato soup recipe is spicy enough to warm you up for lunch on a cool fall afternoon, or for dinner on a chilly winter evening. Plus, it has just enough bacon to make it extra interesting!
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 45 Minutes
Total time 60 Minutes
- 6 fresh leeks, cleaned well, trimmed and sliced in coins
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and large diced, held in water
- 2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil, for serving time
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat cook the bacon to medium-well. Remove and drain on a power towel. Set aside.
- To the same pot, add the olive oil and butter. Add the leeks, onion, salt and a pinch of pepper. Cook, stirring every few minutes, until the onions become translucent and the leeks become lightly browned, about 20 to 30 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for an additional minute. Increase the heat slightly to medium-high and add the drained potatoes.
- Pour in the stock and stir. Bring the soup to a full boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn heat to low, submerge your immersion blender and blend until smooth. Stir in half and half and adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper. Serve the soup with a sprinkle of green onions, a drizzle of olive oil and a handful of cut bacon bits.
- Pro Tip: White pepper seems to have a creeping-up-flavor effect. Season a little at a time. Step away for a few minutes and then taste before adding additional white pepper heat.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $10 & Up
Immersion Blenders $12 & Up
White Pepper $4 & Up
Chicken Stock $1 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.