Epic Potato Wedges Recipe Smothered in Spicy Green Chile Cheese Sauce With Crispy Bacon by Chef Gigi
You can’t go wrong with this easy homemade nacho cheese sauce recipe. This recipe is so simple that anyone can make it – and it literally will take you 10 minutes! Pour it over crispy steakhouse wedges and you've taken it up to epic. Be sure to use my master recipe for crispy steakhouse potato wedges so your potatoes don't get mushy under all this delicious cheese sauce. The wedged potatoes will require an hour of soaking in water, so plan accordingly.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes for cheese sauce
Total Time: 20 minutes for cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half and half, warmed
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, warmed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups shredded aged cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 large can chopped green chiles, undrained
- Crispy Steakhouse Wedge Potatoes
- 1 pound slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, cooked crispy and drained
Here's how to make it:
- Prepare the oven-baked potato wedges. While they are cooking in the oven, prepare the spicy cheese sauce.
- Heat the cream with the stock together in a small saucepan over low heat. While they are coming to temperature, heat a large cast-iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- Add the butter to the skillet and melt. When the butter begins to bubble and turn slightly brown, whisk in flour to make a roux to thicken your cheese sauce. Continue to stir the lumpy roux until the raw flour is cooked, about 2 minutes. You will know it's cooked by its change in color from white to blonde as well as a distinctly nutty aroma.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk in the warm cream mixture in a steady stream while quickly stirring to remove any lumping all while adding more liquid. The roux will thicken quickly and look like a sticky mess at first. Don't give up. Keep adding the warm liquid while whisking. Soon you will have a beautiful cheesy sauce. Add additional milk if you need to.
- Season with garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Bring to a boil. Cook and whisk for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low.
- Gradually whisk in cheeses until melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in green chiles. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add additional milk or stock 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Pour over a giant mound of crispy steakhouse wedge potatoes and top with the crispy bacon. Sometimes I add chopped green onions.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.