This Hearty Amish Beef Stew Recipe Is a Belly-Warming Bowl of Comfort Food by 30Seconds Food
This hearty stew recipe from the Pennsylvania Dutch area is like a classic beef stew recipe, but with back notes of spices and other interesting flavors. A simple soup recipe that's withstood the test of time, this stew is a steaming bowl full of comfort food when you need it most. And this time of year, we need our comfort food!
To make this rich beef stew recipe you will need vegetable oil, stew meat, onion, water, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, allspice, cloves, carrots, potatoes and flour. Simmer it all for a couple of hours and get ready for some serious comfort in your bowl.
This easy Amish beef stew recipe smells divine as it simmers on the stove. Serve this delicious stew on its own, or with warm bread or a fresh salad for dinner. Freeze some for later (you'll be happy you did)!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours and 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef roast or steak, cut into cubes or stew meat
- 1 large onion, sliced or 2 cups pearl onions, cleaned
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- pinch of allspice
- pinch of ground cloves
- 5 - 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 potatoes, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup flour
- We like to squeeze our own fresh lemon juice, but you can use bottled in a pinch.
- Use gluten-free flour if you'd like this recipe to be gluten-free.
- Store leftover stew in a container in the refrigerator, or freeze for up to three months.
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the beef and brown on all sides, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the onion, water, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, allspice and cloves. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer gently for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots and potatoes. (Add a little more water, if needed.) Cover and cook about 30 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Whisk together the water and flour. Pour the mixture into the stew and stir. Cook until stew thickens, about 5 to 10 more minutes.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 15.2g
Saturated Fat: 4.4g
Total Carbohydrate: 35.1g
Dietary Fiber: 5.7g
Total Sugars: 5.4g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.