Classic Amish Stew Recipe: This Easy Amish Beef Stew Recipe Smells Heavenly & Tastes Even Better by 30Seconds Food
Stew from the Pennsylvania Dutch area is like a typical stew recipe, but with back notes of spices and other flavorings. This easy Amish beef stew recipe smells amazing as it simmers on the stove. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours and 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef roast or steak, cut into cubes or stew meat
- 1 large onion, sliced or 2 cups pearl onions, cleaned
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- pinch of allspice
- pinch of ground cloves
- 5 - 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 potatoes, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup flour
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the beef and brown on all sides, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the onion, water, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, allspice and cloves. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer gently for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots and potatoes. (Add a little more water, if needed.) Cover and cook about 30 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Whisk together the water and flour. Pour the mixture into the stew and stir. Cook until stew thickens, about 5 to 10 more minutes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Large Soup Pots $10 & Up
Worcestershire Sauce $2 & Up
Paprika $3 & Up
Allspice $4 & Up
Ground Cloves $4 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.