Amish Split Pea Soup Recipe: Get Back to Basics With This Simple Split Pea Soup by 30Seconds Food
We've all seen fancy recipes for split pea soup with croutons, shrimp, an abundance of seasonings, etc. This easy Amish split pea soup recipe is back to basics with just a few simple ingredients.
You could leave out the milk for a dairy-free version. This easy split pea soup recipe freezes well, so make extra and stock up!
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 1/2 to 3 hours
Total Time: 2 1/2 to 3 hours
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 pound dry split peas, washed
- 3 quarts water
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 2 - 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup milk, half and half or cream
Here's how to make it:
- Put all the ingredients except the milk into a soup pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring often.
- Remove the ham bone and pick off any meat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until almost smooth. (You could also push the soup through a mesh strainer.)
- Stir in the desired amount of milk and season with salt and pepper. Put the ham meat back into the pot. Serve.
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $10 & Up
Dried Split Peas $2 & Up
Immersion Blenders $12 & Up
Mesh Strainers $5 & Up
Amish Cookbooks $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.