Amish Split Pea Soup Recipe: Get Back to Basics With This Simple, Delicious Split Pea Soup Recipe by 30Seconds Food
We've all seen fancy recipes for split pea soup with croutons, shrimp, an abundance of seasonings, etc. This easy Amish split pea soup recipe is back to basics with just a few simple ingredients. You could even leave out the milk for a dairy-free version.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 1/2 to 3 hours
Total Time: 2 1/2 to 3 hours
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 pound dry split peas, washed
- 3 quarts water
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 2 - 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup milk, half and half or cream
Here's how to make it:
- Put all the ingredients except the milk into a soup pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring often.
- Remove the ham bone and pick off any meat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until almost smooth. (You could also push the soup through a mesh strainer.)
- Stir in the desired amount of milk and season with salt and pepper. Put the ham meat back into the pot. Serve.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $10 & Up
Dried Split Peas $2 & Up
Immersion Blenders $12 & Up
Mesh Strainers $5 & Up
Amish Cookbooks $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.