This Hearty Amish Beef Barley Soup Recipe Will Stick to Your Ribs by 30Seconds Food
It's soup season! One of the most belly-warming soups is beef barley soup, and the Amish may make it best. Full of tender beef and vegetables, this hearty Amish beef and barley soup recipe is a delicious meal that will stick to your ribs. With fall here, it's time to add this easy beef soup recipe to your rotation.
Here's your simple shopping list for this satisfying dinner recipe: boneless beef chuck, vegetable oil, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, broth, water and pearl barley. The parsley garnish is optional. Making this soup is simple. You brown the meat and remove it to a plate. You add the vegetables and seasonings, then the broth, water and barley. After adding the meat back in, you simmer the soup until tender (and enjoy the aroma that fills your kitchen).
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 55 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) chicken broth or beef broth or vegetable broth (or a combination)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- We used chicken broth in this recipe, but you can use a combination of broths, such as 1 can chicken broth and 1 can beef broth or vegetable broth. If you prefer more beef flavor, use all beef broth.
- Store leftovers in a container in the refrigerator for up to three days. This soup also freezes well.
Here's how to make it:
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil. Add the meat and cook until browned on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pot. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook 30 seconds.
- Pour in the broth, water and barley. Season with salt and pepper. Put the meat back into the pot. Cover and simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Garnish with parsley, if desired, and serve.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 15.9g
Saturated Fat: 5.8g
Total Carbohydrate: 6g
Dietary Fiber: 1.1g
Total Sugars: 1.7g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.