New Year's Black-eyed Peas Recipe: Slow-cooker Black-eyed Peas Recipe With Ham May Bring You Luck by 30Seconds Food
Southerners don't just eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day, they eat them year 'round. This easy black-eyed peas recipe with ham cooks in a slow cooker, so it's ready and waiting when the dinner hour approaches.
Serve as a meal with cornbread or as a side with your favorite protein.
Prep Time: 6 to 24 hours to soak peas
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 14 to 32 hours
- 1 bag (16 ounces) dried black-eyed peas, rinsed, picked over and soaked according to package directions
- 1 smoked ham hock or 1 - 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 - 2 teaspoons hot sauce (optional)
- 4 cups water
Here's how to make it:
- Drained the soaked peas. Pour into a slow cooker.
- Add all the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 8 hours or until black-eyed peas are tender. If using a ham hock, remove the meat and add it to the peas, discarding the bone. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.