Easy Gyudon (ぎゅ丼) Recipe: This Japanese Beef & Rice Bowl Recipe Is Ready in 30 Minutes by 30Seconds Food
Japanese gyudon is thinly sliced beef cooked in a mirin and soy sauce mixture and served over rice. Gyudon usually has an egg on top, but that is optional. Here's an quick recipe for gyudon to try at home that can easily be doubled.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound ribeye or sirloin, sliced very thin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup dashi broth (here's how to make homemade dashi broth) or chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- chopped green onions, for garnish
- pickled ginger, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the beef slices and sugar. Cook until beef is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the mirin, soy sauce and broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- While it simmers, cook the two eggs in another skillet to your liking.
- To serve, put the rice into bowls. Top with the beef and an egg. Garnish with chopped green onion and pickled ginger.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Large Skillets $10 & Up
Mirin $4 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Low Sodium Soy Sauce $3 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Dashi Broth $3 & Up
Jasmine Rice $3 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.