Traditional Caldo Verde Recipe: Easy 5-Ingredient Portuguese Green Soup Recipe That's Ready in 30 Minutes by 30Seconds Food
Caldo verde is a traditional Portuguese soup made with potatoes, sausage and greens. Serve this hearty Portuguese green soup recipe with bread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 package smoked sausage, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 7 cups water
- 2 bunches kales or collard greens, chopped
- olive oil, for serving and cooking
Here's how to make it:
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes and water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- When the potatoes are tender, remove half of them and the sausage from the pot into a bowl. Using an immersion blender, process the remaining soup until smooth. Put the sausage and potatoes back into the pot.
- Add the greens and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and drizzle with a little olive oil.
Variation: Add one can of rinsed and drained white beans at the very end of cooking.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Large Soup Pots $10 & Up
Immersion Blenders $15 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Portuguese Cookbooks $5 & Up
Portuguese Olive Oil $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.