South Carolina Chicken & Rice Recipe: This Chicken Bog Recipe Is Classic Southern Comfort Food by 30Seconds Food
Chicken bog, also called South Carolina chicken and rice, is a cross between a stew and a rice casserole. This comfort food recipe comes from the low country area in South Carolina. You can make it as soupy as you like by adding more broth or letting the broth cook out. Your call. Either way it's a homey recipe that's sure to be a family favorite.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 25 minutes
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 package smoked sausage, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups long-grain white rice
- chopped green onions, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken celery, onion, garlic, salt and pepper into a Dutch oven. Cover with water. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken when done, cool and shred.
- Pour the broth into a bowl. You can leave the cooked vegetables in it or pour it through a strainer. Set aside.
- Add the butter to the Dutch oven. When hot, add the sausage and cook until lightly browned.
- Add 8 cups of the reserved broth to the pot and bring to a boil. (If you don't have enough broth, add water until you have 8 cups.) Stir in the rice. Season with salt and pepper. Add the shredded chicken meat.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook about 15 to 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Garnish with chopped green onions.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Dutch Ovens $12 & Up
Long Grain White Rice $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.