Easy Zhug Recipe: Drizzle This Spicy Yemen Green Sauce Recipe on Everything by Donna John
Zhug, also called shug and shoug, is a spicy green pepper sauce from Yemen. This easy zhug recipe can be used on grilled meats, seafood, chicken, vegetables, sandwiches, falafel, eggs, burgers, bread ... anything, really, that you want to add a spicy kick to.
Some use other peppers along with the serranos, like dried chiles de arbol, or replace them with other hot peppers like jalapenos or Thai chiles.
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Servings: Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup cilantro, loosely packed
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, loosely packed
- 5 serrano peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 - 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Here's how to make it:
- Put the black peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and cardamom seeds into a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Grind until they turn into a coarse powder.
- Put the ground spices, salt, cilantro, parsley, serrano peppers, garlic and lemon juice into a blender. Pulse until just broken up.
- Add the olive oil and pulse until combined but still has texture. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds!
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Spice Grinders $8 & Up
Mortar and Pestles $6 & Up
Coriander Seeds $5 & Up
Cumin Seeds $4 & Up
Cardamom Seeds $6 & Up
Black Peppercorns $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.