One-Pan Chicken Recipes: Healthy Skillet Chicken & Farro Recipe With Caramelized Leeks by Jan Mostrom
I get so tired of my own cooking I often look for inspiration from others. I love this chicken and farro recipe I found in the New York Times cooking section. It was delicious and easy to make. Add a side of broccoli or your favorite vegetable and it is a wonderful complete meal.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and drumsticks (You can use any cut, but decrease cooking time if boneless)
- 2 large or 3 medium leeks (I used 4)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds or coriander seeds, cracked with a mortar and pestle or the side of a chef’s knife (I like the Moroccan coriander, but Indian is great as well)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, cracked with a mortar and pestle or the side of a chef’s knife
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups pearled farro or semi-pearled farro
- 3/4 cup quartered or halved cherry tomatoes or diced tomato
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves and tender stems, roughly chopped
- fresh lime juice, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, to taste (I used lemon)
Here's how to make it:
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Season all over with salt and pepper. Set aside while preparing the leeks.
- Trim roots from leeks, then cut away any wilted, yellowing or browned parts from the greens. Slice leeks in half lengthwise. Wash well under cold running water to remove any soil, then shake dry. Thinly slice the leeks (including the greens) into half moons. You should have about 6 cups. Measure out about 2 tablespoons of sliced leek whites and set them aside for garnish.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. When the oil thins and coats the bottom of the pan, add half the chicken and cook until browned on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and stir in the leeks and a pinch of salt. Sauté until tender and golden brown, 10 to 13 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in spices, thyme and tomato paste, and cook until tomato paste darkens and caramelizes, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock and bring to a simmer, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in farro and 1 teaspoon salt. When the liquid comes to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low and nestle in the browned chicken, skin-side up. Pour in any juices from the plate. Cover pan and let cook until the farro is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Toss together the reserved leek whites, chopped tomatoes and parsley. Season to taste with salt, pepper and an acid like lemon or lime juice or vinegar. The mixture should taste tangy and bright.
- Discard the thyme sprigs. Serve chicken and farro topped with the tomato mixture.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Skillets $10 & Up
Fennel Seeds $4 & Up
Coriander Seeds $4 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Cumin Seeds $4 & Up
Vegetable Broth $2 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Mortar and Pestle $7 & Up
Chef's Knives $10 & Up
Tomato Paste $1 & Up
Pearled Farro $4 & Up
Semi Pearled Farro $4 & Up
Apple Cider Vinegar $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.