Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes: This Springtime Vegetable Lasagna Recipe Would Make Martha Proud by Susan Evind
This vegetable lasagna recipe is fun to make, but make sure to set aside time to really get it right. It’s adapted from a Martha Stewart "Springtime Lasagna" recipe I’ve folded and unfolded over the years, and I always made it for my family on Easter. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
- 1 box (16 ounces) lasagna noodles
- 1/8 cup olive oil (to prevent noodles from sticking)
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 2 bunches spinach, chopped fine
- 3 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
- 3 red bell peppers, 1/2-inch dice
- 3 yellow bell peppers, 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup freshly cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, then pour into a colander and toss with 1/8 cup olive oil to prevent sticking. Separate pieces and drape them over the colander sides.
- Mix pesto and chopped spinach into ricotta cheese. Season with 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter with 1/2 cup olive oil in large skillet over medium heat and sauté scallions about 2 minutes. Add peppers and sauté for 2 more minutes, then cover and reduce heat to low, cooking 4 to 5 minutes stirring occasionally until tender. Remove peppers and scallions from skillet with slotted spoon and place in bowl, keeping as much butter/oil sauce in the skillet as you can. Add the garlic. If needed, add a few extra tablespoons of butter and oil for sautéing.
- Add 1/2 cup marinara sauce and oregano leaves. Cook about 5 minutes. Add in the pepper mixture and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- In 13x9-inch baking pan or 4-quart baking dish, place a thin layer of 1 cup of the tomato sauce/pepper mixture, then layer with noodles, spread half of the ricotta mixture on top. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Add another layer of noodles, then sauce. Sprinkle with the fresh herbs, then another layer of noodles. Top with remaining ricotta mixture.
- Carefully spoon the béchamel sauce on top and bake in preheated 350-degree F oven 35 to 45 minutes until bubbling. Let sit 5 to 8 minutes before serving.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in saucepan. Add flour and whisk until well blended. Cook for 45 seconds until foamy over medium heat. Heat milk in separate pan (do not boil). Whisk the butter and flour mixture in so there are no lumps. Cook until it thickens. Add the Parmesan cheese. Cook only until cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
13x9-inch Baking Pans $9 & Up
Casserole Dishes $9 & Up
Lasagna Noodles $1 & Up
Pesto Sauce $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Marinara Sauce $3 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Oregano Leaves $3 & Up
Basil Leaves $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.