Cinnamon Rolls Recipe: Giada De Laurentiis' Italian Cinnamon Roll Recipe Is Flavored With Citrus & Spice by 30Seconds Food
Giada De Laurentiis' Italian cinnamon rolls recipe is kind of a big deal. The Food Network queen recently posted her cinnamon roll recipe on Instagram, to much acclaim. Try these citrus and spice-flavored cinnamon rolls and find out why.
Prep Time: 60 minutes plus 1 1/2 hours to rise
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 5 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground anise seed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon orange zest (1 orange)
- 1 teaspoon ground anise
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
Here's how to make it:
- Sprinkle the active dry yeast over the warm water. Let it sit for 2 minutes or until it becomes creamy and starts to bubble.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the flour, anise seed, salt and sugar. Stir together. In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg yolks, vanilla and heavy cream. Add the wet ingredients and the active yeast to the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, stir together to form a rough dough. Place on the mixer with a dough hook and kneed for 10 minutes or until the dough pull away from the sides but is still soft and silky. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to double in size, about 1 hour.
- In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar, lemon zest, orange zest, anise and cinnamon. Dust a work surface lightly with flour. Pour the dough out on to the surface and dust the top of the dough with more flour. Roll the dough in to a rectangle about 22 inches by 15 inches and a 1/3-inch thick. Spread the butter evenly over the dough leaving a 1/4-inch boarder around the edge. Sprinkle evenly with the brown sugar mixture.
- Starting at the end closest to you, begin rolling the dough away from you. Moisten the far edge with a little water and seal. You should have a log that looks like a pinwheel on the sides. Cut the log into 12 2-inch rolls.
- Butter the inside of a 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Place the rolls in the pan and allow to double in size, about 30 minutes.
- Bake the rolls for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and puffed in a preheated 350-degree F oven. Allow to cool slightly while preparing the glaze.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and orange juice. Drizzle the glaze over the rolls and serve warm.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
13x9-inch Baking Pans $9 & Up
Active Dry Yeast $4 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Anise Seeds $5 & Up
Sugar $3 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
Brown Sugar $3 & Up
Ground Anise $5 & Up
Cinnamon $3 & Up
Powdered Sugar $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.