Easy Herb & Cheese Scones Recipe: The Savory Scone You Didn't Know You Needed by 30Seconds Food
When we think of scones, many of us think sweet. There's nothing sweet about this scone recipe – but it's dang delicious. This easy cheese and herb scone recipe is the savory scone you didn't know you needed. It's so good!
Here's your shopping list for this cheesy bread recipe: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk or milk, egg, butter, cheese, herbs and cream or milk. You prepare the dough, add the cheese and herbs of your choice, form the scones, brush the tops then bake them up until golden brown.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: American / British
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
- 1 egg
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere, mozzarella, Swiss cheese, cheddar, Monterey Jack or feta
- 1/4 cup herbs, finely chopped (chives, oregano, thyme, dill, rosemary, parsley, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
- Use whichever cheese you prefer: Gruyere, mozzarella, Swiss cheese, cheddar, Monterey Jack or feta all work well.
- Use whichever herbs you prefer: chives, oregano, thyme, dill, rosemary or parsley all work well.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg.
- Add the cold butter pieces to the dry ingredients. Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to make coarse crumbs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Add the cheese and herbs. Stir to combine.
- Knead the dough a few times to bring it together.
- Put the dough onto a floured work surface. Pat the dough with your hands or use a rolling pin to make the dough into a circle. Cut the circle into wedges. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Put the scones into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes to chill (this step is optional, but do it if you have time).
- Brush the tops of the scones with the cream or milk.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 11.6g
Saturated Fat: 7.1g
Total Carbohydrate: 18g
Dietary Fiber 0.6g
Total Sugars: 1.7g
Vitamin D: 8mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.