Easy Herb & Cheese Scone Recipe Will Make You Rethink Scones by 30Seconds Food
Nothing sweet about this scone recipe – but it's dang delicious. This easy cheese and herb scone recipe is the savory scone you've been looking for.
Mix up the fresh herbs to fit your tastes. Experiment until you find the perfect combination. Serve this easy scone recipe for lunch, as a snack or as a side dish with dinner.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
- 1 egg
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere, mozzarella, Swiss cheese, cheddar, Monterey Jack or feta
- 1/4 cup herbs, finely chopped (chives, oregano, thyme, dill, rosemary, parsley, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg.
- Add the cold butter pieces to the dry ingredients. Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to make coarse crumbs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Add the cheese and herbs. Stir to combine.
- Knead the dough a few times to bring it together.
- Put the dough onto a floured work surface. Pat the dough with your hands or use a rolling pin to make the dough into a circle. Cut the circle into wedges. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Put the scones into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes to chill (this step is optional, but do it if you have time).
- Brush the tops of the scones with the cream or milk.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baking Sheets $9 & Up
Pastry Cutters $5 & Up
Rolling Pins $6 & Up
Parchment Paper $4 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Granulated Sugar $3 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.