Easy Herb & Cheese Scone Recipe Will Make You Rethink Scones by 30Seconds Food
Nothing sweet about this scone recipe – but it's dang delicious. This easy cheese and herb scone recipe is the savory scone you've been looking for.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
- 1 egg
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere, mozzarella, Swiss cheese, cheddar, Monterey Jack or feta
- 1/4 cup herbs, finely chopped (chives, oregano, thyme, dill, rosemary, parsley, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg.
- Add the cold butter pieces to the dry ingredients. Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to make coarse crumbs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Add the cheese and herbs. Stir to combine.
- Knead the dough a few times to bring it together.
- Put the dough onto a floured work surface. Pat the dough with your hands or use a rolling pin to make the dough into a circle. Cut the circle into wedges. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Put the scones into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes to chill (this step is optional, but do it if you have time).
- Brush the tops of the scones with the cream or milk.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baking Sheets $9 & Up
Pastry Cutters $5 & Up
Rolling Pins $6 & Up
Parchment Paper $4 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Granulated Sugar $3 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.