Hearty Split Pea Recipe With Ham: Leftover Ham at Its Finest by 30Seconds Food
Split pea soup is the perfect way to use leftover ham and that ham bone. This easy split pea soup recipe is thick, flavorful and filling. The soup is made with onion, celery, garlic, broth, split peas (of course!), leftover ham, carrots and seasonings. How could you go wrong?
With plenty of vegetables and ham, we think you'd enjoy a bowl of this hearty split pea and ham soup recipe right now. Makes a satisfying lunch or dinner on a cold night.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 55 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans chicken broth (4 cups)
- 4 cups water
- 1 bag (16 ounces) dried split peas, washed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 ham bone from leftover ham
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 cups leftover cooked ham
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven. Add the onion and celery and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, water, split peas, bay leaves and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the ham bone into the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour or until peas are tender.
- Remove the ham bone from the soup. Add the carrots and chopped ham. Cook about 30 more minutes or until carrots are tender.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Dutch Oven $10 & Up
Dry Split Peas $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Dried Thyme $3 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.