Go With Your Gut & Make This Healthy Spinach Lentil Soup Recipe by Nichole Dandrea-Russert, MS, RDN
The food we eat is what powers our bodies – the better we eat, the better we look, feel and perform. Yet less than 5 percent of Americans are getting the recommended amount of fiber per day, a vital nutrient that can do many things from regulating blood sugar to lowering cholesterol to creating a healthy gut.
To get more fiber in your diet, try this easy spinach lentil soup recipe from my cookbook The Fiber Effect. It's hearty and will fill you up!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 cups dry green lentils or brown lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup olive oil or 1/4 cup vegetable broth for oil-free
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can or carton (28 ounces) BPA-free crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chopped spinach
Here's how to make it:
- Soak lentils in warm water for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil or vegetable broth over medium heat.
- Add mustard, cumin and fennel seeds for 1 minute.
- Add carrots, celery, onion and cook until onion is soft and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano and, if you want the soup to be spicy, add cayenne or red pepper.
- Stir in lentils, veggie broth, water and crushed tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Just before serving stir in spinach and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro, basil, nutritional yeast and cashew cheese. Enjoy throughout the week or portion it out to freeze.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
The Fiber Effect: Stop Counting Calories and Start Counting Fiber for Better Health by Nichole Dandrea-Russert $15
Green Lentils $4 & Up
Brown Lentils $4 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Vegetable Broth $2 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
Mustard Seeds $4 & Up
Cumin Seeds $3 & Up
Fennel Seeds $5 & Up
Cayenne $3 & Up
Red Pepper Flakes $3 & Up
Crushed Tomatoes $2 & Up
Nutritional Yeast $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.