Easy Adjarian Khachapuri Recipe: Make This Cheesy Georgian Cheese Bread Recipe This Weekend by 30Seconds Food
Adjarian khachapuri is a boat-shaped bread that originated in Georgia's Adjara region. Khachapuri is known for being super cheesy and having a sunny-side up egg or just an egg yolk on top. Some refer to this bread as Georgian cheese bread. Here's an easy khachapuri recipe that is really simple to make.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups flour
- 5 cups shredded mozzarella (you could also use a mixture of mozzarella and crumbled feta)
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 whole egg or egg yolk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
Here's how to make it:
- To make the dough, combine the warm milk, sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl. Stir. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes or until it begins to froth.
- Stir in the oil and egg.
- Slowly start adding the flour until it forms a dough (you may not need all the flour). Knead the dough a few times until it comes together into a smooth dough. Put the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for about 30 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Flour a work surface. Divide the dough into five pieces. Roll each piece of dough into an oblong shape about 8 inches by 12 inches. Put the dough onto a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle each piece of dough with 1 cup of the cheese. Fold the edges in and pinch the ends together to form the boat shape (see photo).
- Combine the egg yolk and water to create an egg wash. Brush the sides of the dough with the egg wash.
- Dot the top of the cheese with the butter pieces.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until bread is golden. About 10 minutes before it's done baking, crack an egg on top (or just use the yolk) and continue cooking.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.