Best Ways to Serve Waffles, Savory Edition: 26 Creative Ideas for Savory Lunch or Dinner Waffles by 30Seconds Food
Think waffles are just for breakfast? We beg to differ! Here are 26 creative ways to make those waffles savory for lunch or dinner, plus a basic waffle batter recipe to get you started. Stay tuned as we continue the "Best Ways to Serve Waffles" series with a sweet edition, kid-friendly edition, and yes, breakfast edition.
1. Stromboli Waffles: Add a little waffle batter to the waffle iron, then add pepperoni, sausage or your favorite pizza meats along with some shredded mozzarella. Top with more batter and cook until waffle is done and filling is melted.
2. Caprese Salad Waffles: Top waffles with baby arugula, tomatoes, avocado and fill the holes with pesto.
3. Zucchini Waffles: Add shredded zucchini to the waffle batter along with a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
4. Chicken and Waffles Sandwich: Crispy fried chicken breast or tenders sandwiched between two waffles and then drizzled with honey or syrup turns breakfast into dinner.
5. Pizza Waffles: Layer your favorite pizza toppings on top of a waffle, and then pop it under a broiler for a second to melt everything together.
6. Open-faced Sandwich Waffle: Pile all your favorite sandwich toppings on top of a waffle.
7. Creamy Mushroom Waffles: Ladle your favorite mushroom sauce over the top of a waffle and garnish with fresh herbs. (Try this vegan mushroom sauce recipe.)
8. Herb Waffles With Cheese: Stir fresh chopped herbs into the waffle batter before cooking. Top with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella or ricotta cheese and more herbs.
9. California Salad Waffles: Put waffles on a plate and then top with fresh spinach, spring mix, boiled eggs, tomatoes, avocado and alfalfa sprouts. Drizzle with your favorite salad dressing.
10. Waffles, Lox and Cream Cheese: Skip the bagel and put lox, cream cheese and fresh herbs on a crispy waffle.
11. Waffle Sandwich: Replace the bread with two waffles to make a fun waffle sandwich.
12. Waffles Benedict: Top waffles with traditional eggs benedict ingredients – Canadian bacon, regular bacon, sausage, poached egg, hollandaise sauce, etc. – for a fun twist on a classic.
13. Tuna Salad Waffle: Whip up a batch of your favorite tuna salad recipe (or chicken salad recipe) and put a pile on top of a waffle. Garnish with fresh herbs.
14. Steak and Eggs Waffle: Layer leftover steak and wilted spinach on a waffle. Top with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce.
15. Avocado Waffles With Spicy Chipotle Cream: Add mashed avocado and a sprinkle of chipotle powder into your waffle batter. Top cooked waffles with a dollop of chipotle cream made with 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 chopped chipotle in adobo sauce, pinch of ground chipotle powder and salt, to taste.
16. Waffle Burger: Replace hamburger buns with cooked waffles to create the most interesting – and delicious! – hamburger.
17. Roast Beef Waffle: Top a waffle with sliced roast beef, arugula, tomatoes, shaved Parmesan cheese and horseradish sauce.
18. Garden Smoked Salmon Waffle: Spread a waffle with plain or flavored cream cheese and then top with smoked salmon, sliced radish, cucumber, fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Here are even more ideas:
19. Texas-Style Waffles: Top cornbread waffles with chili, sour cream and green onions.
20. Broccoli and Cheddar Waffles: Stir finely chopped broccoli florets and cheddar cheese into your waffle batter.
21. Mediterranean Waffles: Stack spinach, feta, falafel, cucumber and tomato on top of a waffle and drizzle with tzatziki sauce.
22. BLT Waffle: Turn your BLT into a BLTW by replacing the bread with waffles.
23. Goat Cheese Waffles: Top waffles with goat cheese, chopped pecans and then drizzle with a balsamic reduction.
24. Sushi Waffle: Flatten out that sushi roll by layering ahi tuna, avocado, sushi rice, seaweed or your favorite sushi ingredients on a waffle and then drizzle with spicy mayo.
25. Stew Waffles: Ladle your favorite beef stew over the top of a waffle.
26. Chicken a la Waffles: Make "toast points" out of waffles for chicken a la king.
What's your favorite way to eat savory waffles? Tell us in the comments section.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.