Best Carrot Cake Recipe With Buttermilk Glaze & Orange Cream Cheese Frosting by Donna John
The sweet buttermilk glaze drenches every inch of this carrot cake and makes it incredibly moist. The creamy orange cream cheese frosting is really the icing on the cake. Delish! It is my all-time favorite carrot cake recipe. This incredible carrot cake recipe does take a little time to prep, but the end result is worth every minute. Wow your friends and family by serving this classic cake on Easter.
The cake batter is a combination of flour, baking soda, cinnamon, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, canola oil, sugar, crushed pineapple, flaked coconut, grated carrots and chopped walnuts. The batter is baked in the oven in two round cake pans. When the cakes come out of the oven, immediately pour the butter milk glaze over them so it can soak in the hot cake. The glaze is made with sugar, baking soda, buttermilk, butter, light corn syrup and vanilla.
The icing on the cake is a creamy combination of butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla, grated orange rind and orange juice. Frost in between the layers and on the outside of the moist, glazed-soaked cake. Incredible.
You could cut the cake layers in half and make a four-layer cake. Be sure to wait until the layers are completely cool so they don't fall apart when you cut them with a serrated knife. This is one carrot cake you will not soon forget.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 two-layer cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 bag (7 ounces) flaked coconut
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
Here's how to make it:
- For the glaze, combine all the ingredients except vanilla in a pot. Bring to a boil and cook about 4 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Set aside.
- For the icing, beat all the ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth.
- For the cake, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside. In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil, buttermilk, sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir in the pineapple, coconut, carrots and nuts. Pour into two greased and floured round cake pans. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and immediately pour the buttermilk glaze over the layers. Cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then remove and cool completely.
- Frost between the layers and then the entire cake. Sprinkle with additional chopped walnuts, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.