Monte Cristo Recipes: How to Make a Classic Monte Cristo Sandwich by Gwen Johnson
A Monte Cristo sandwich is basically a ham and cheese sandwich that is pan-fried in butter. What's not to love? You could also use a little deli turkey breast in place of the ham – or use both! If you want to reduce the carbs, use only two slices of bread per sandwich. Monte Cristo sandwiches are sometimes served with strawberry jelly.
- 6 slices white bread
- Swiss cheese
- deli ham
- yellow mustard
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 - 4 tablespoons butter
- powdered sugar (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Spread mayonnaise on two slices of the bread. Top with a slice of cheese and a couple pieces of ham.
- Add the second slice of bread. Top with mustard. Add a couple slices of ham and another slice of cheese. Finish with the third slice of bread on top.
- Press the sandwich gently to flatten a bit. Carefully cut off the crusts (this helps seal the sandwich for frying).
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low heat. Cook the sandwiches about 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Serve.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Sandwich Cookbooks $3 & Up
Powdered Sugar $3 & Up
Mayonnaise $2 & Up
Yellow Mustard $1 & Up
White Bread $2 & Up
Strawberry Jelly $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.