Foods to Reduce Blood Pressure: 30 Easy Recipes That May Help Lower Your Blood Pressure Numbers by Donna John
What is high blood pressure? High blood pressure, or hypertension, is the pressure of blood against the artery walls. The condition can lead to health problems like heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and other issues. High blood pressure is often referred to as "the silent killer" because most people have no symptoms. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), nearly half of Americans have high blood pressure.
Changing your diet to include foods that may reduce blood pressure is an easy way to start the fight against hypertension. Some foods that may help lower blood pressure include leafy greens (romaine lettuce, arugula, kale, greens, spinach, swiss chard), berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries), beets, yogurt, oatmeal, bananas, fish (salmon, mackerel), seeds (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, squash seeds), garlic, herbs, dark chocolate, pistachios, olive oil, pomegranates, sweet potatoes, beans, quinoa, broccoli, watermelon and cinnamon.
Here are 30 recipes that include ingredients that could help lower your blood pressure numbers:
1. Grilled Mackerel With Lemon and Garlic: If you've never cooked mackerel, here's an easy grilled mackerel recipe that even kids will enjoy. Skewers aren't required for this recipe, but do up the fun factor when eating it.
2. Spinach Soup: This creamy spinach soup can be served hot or cold. Serve with pita, breadsticks or butter crackers.
3. Cranberry, Kale and Quinoa Salad: Got a craving for cranberries? Make this healthy and refreshing cranberry kale quinoa salad with cranberry dressing. It's gluten free and oh, so tasty.
4. Pistachio-Crusted Salmon: This pistachio-crusted salmon recipe is the perfect weeknight meal. And it's ready in less than 30 minutes. Seriously.
5. Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Cups: Don't save these festive candies just for the holidays! With pomegranate seeds and dark chocolate, your blood pressure will thank you.
6. Tzatziki: Tzatziki (taet-zeek-key) is a sauce or dip made with a combination of cucumber, fresh yogurt, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice or vinegar and fresh herbs. It’s so delicious and refreshing!
7. Berry Banana Oatmeal: With just a few healthy ingredients and a microwave, you can have a power-packed breakfast in no time.
8. Trader's Joe's Gone Bananas Copycat Recipe: Turn just three ingredients into a healthy potassium-rich snack!
9. Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: Who knew pumpkin seeds had so many health benefits? Roast those seeds for a healthy snack.
10. Salmon and Kale Salad With Creamy Tahini Dressing: Warm salmon on a bed of tender and flavorful kale leaves with delicious homemade tahini dressing. This is a salad you’d pay good money for at an upscale restaurant.
11. Eggless Caesar Salad: The homemade salad dressing for this Caesar salad doesn't contain eggs.
12. Cinnamon Sweet Potato Wedges: Both sweet potatoes and cinnamon may help reduce your blood pressure, so this recipe is a double whammy!
13. Southern Collard Greens: Sweet. Bitter. Salty. Spicy. These collard greens are a party for your taste buds.
14. Frozen Yogurt and Honey Bananas: These frozen treats would pack a triple threat if you added dark chocolate chips.
15. Roasted Garlic Spinach Pizza: Roasted garlic gets even creamier when stirred into ricotta cheese. What happens next is pure pizza magic.
16. Roasted Garlic: Roasted garlic is delicious! Use it as a spread or add it to mashed potatoes, pasta or dressings. It’s easy to make, and can be kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
17. White Bean Hummus With Thyme and Basil: Who says chickpeas need to have all the fun? This whitebean hummus is packed with fresh herbs and bright flavors.
18. Tuscan White Bean Soup: This healthy whitebean soup recipe has just a few simple ingredients, is packed with flavor and requires minimal prep.
19. Crunchy Black Bean Tacos: The whole family will love these simple black bean tacos! Dinner is ready in under 20!
20. Pork and Quinoa Meatballs: Want to add protein, fiber, essential amino acids, magnesium (to name a few!) to your meatballs? This pork meatball recipe packs a super-healthy punch with the addition of quinoa – and tastes amazing!
21. Citrus-Glazed Salmon With Grilled Oranges: If you want to make your outdoor grilling a little healthier, try this easy citrus-glazed salmon recipe. Grilled oranges may be your new obsession after you do.
22. Spicy Broccolini: This healthy broccolini recipe has just the right amount of spice to elevate any meal.
23. White Bean and Tuna Salad: This tuna and white bean salad recipe is easy to make and uses those pantry ingredients.
24. Cream of Broccoli Soup: Creamy and vitamin packed, this homemade cream of broccoli soup hits the spot.
25. Banana Oatmeal With Brown Sugar, Almonds & Honey: This oatmeal recipe featuring bananas, honey and cinnamon will make you rethink your oatmeal. Delicious!
27. Marinated Salmon Fillets: You would think this salmon recipe would be salty because of the soy sauce, but think again. Marinating the salmon imparts a rich flavor and changes the texture of the fish.
28. White Bean Salad: Fast, filling, good for you and delicious? Yes! This yummy bean salad can be thrown together in less than five minutes and uses items you may have on hand.
29. Watermelon Salad: There are so many reasons to love this colorful watermelon salad. It's sweet, it's tart and it's so incredibly simple to make.
30. Sweet Potato Goulash: Fire up those soup pots and try this easy sweet potato and goulash recipe.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links. The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.