Homemade Cayenne Pepper Powder Recipe: How to Turn Fresh Peppers Into a Hot DIY Spice Mix by Donna John
This is my first year growing peppers, and a lesson learned pretty quickly is that you will be overloaded with cayenne peppers. They grow in abundance – and they grow fast! Not knowing what to do with my harvest, someone suggested making homemade cayenne pepper powder. Use this DIY spice on chicken, pork, seafood, vegetables, eggs or in gumbo, creole dishes or anything you want to add a little kick to. Don't grow peppers? You can buy peppers already dried in bulk.
- fresh cayenne peppers or your favorite hot pepper
- spice/coffee bean grinder
Here's how to make it:
1. The peppers must be completely dry to turn them into a powder. Here are your options for drying the peppers:
- Allow to dry naturally. This will take a while.
- Use a food dehydrator.
- Dry in the oven.
- Lay in the sun and allow to dry.
If drying in the oven, cut off the stems (wear gloves!) and lay on a baking sheet or wire baking rack. Place in a 125- to 175- degree F oven until dry (this may take several hours depending on freshness and size).
If drying in a food dehydrator, cut off the stems and follow the manufacturer's directions.
If drying in the sun, lay them on a kitchen towel where they will get direct sun. This will take several hours depending on size and freshness. This method is mainly for hot, summer months. Make sure kids and pets can't get their hands (or paws) on them.
If drying naturally, just ignore them until they are dried out. (This was the method I used after mine started drying because I had so many. I finished drying in the oven.)
2. If you haven't already, cut off the stems.
3. Cut the peppers into smaller pieces using kitchen shears.
4. Put into a spice/coffee grinder.
5. Pulse until they turn into a powder.
6. Pour through a mesh strainer, if desired, to remove any large pieces.
7. Store in an airtight container or spice jar.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Spice Grinders $10 & Up
Disposable Gloves $5 & Up
Baking Sheets $8 & Up
Wire Racks $6 & Up
Food Dehydrators $20 & Up
Kitchen Shears $7 & Up
Mesh Strainers $5 & Up
Spice Jars $5 & Up
Dried Peppers $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.