Chicken Taco Casserole Recipe: This Fan Favorite Has a Secret Ingredient by Donna John
Taco-flavored chips! Yep, that's the secret ingredient in this easy casserole recipe. This chicken recipe is a family pleaser – and so easy. The chips not only add flavor, but some texture and crunch to the casserole. Delicious!
To make this cheesy taco casserole you will need cooked chicken, taco-flavored chips, olive oil, onion, a poblano pepper, a can of cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, chopped green chiles, chicken broth, cheddar cheese and fresh chopped cilantro. When this tasty Mexican-inspired taco casserole recipe was first my menu rotation, the onion and poblano were added raw. My husband wasn't a fan of the crunch, so I added the step of cooking them before adding to the rest of the ingredients. But you could make it either way.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken (I boiled one whole chicken)
- 7 ounces taco-flavored chips (about half a large bag)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper or bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the butter or olive oil in a skillet. Add the chicken, onion and poblano pepper and cook until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, onions, peppers, chips, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, green chiles, broth and chopped cilantro, if using. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour into a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Top with the cheese. (I also topped with some sliced, fresh jalapenos.) Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes.
- I used taco-flavored Doritos, but if you can't find them, substitute nacho cheese, ranch or plain.
- You can use light sour cream, reduced-sodium chicken broth and low-fat cheddar cheese.
- I just some sliced, fresh jalapenos on top for a little spice.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 36.1g
Saturated Fat: 16.2g
Total Carbohydrate: 30.1g
Dietary Fiber: 2.3g
Total Sugars: 2.9g
Vitamin D: 5mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.