Chicken Pozole Verde Recipe: Go Green With This Traditional Mexican Soup Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Pozole, which means "hominy," is a traditional Mexican soup recipe. This verde (green) version gets its color from tomatillos and cilantro. It's a hearty bowl of goodness that's sure to be a family favorite.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 to 55 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes to 1 hour and 5 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound tomatillos, washed and husks removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped (remove seeds and ribs for a less spicy soup)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (stems and leaves)
- 1 can (28 ounces) hominy, rinsed
- lime wedges
- sliced radishes
- sliced jalapenos
- chopped cilantro
- sliced avocado
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken, tomatillos, onion, peppers, broth, oregano and salt in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, about 35 to 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and tender. Remove chicken, shred and set aside.
- Add the cilantro to the broth and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. (This could also be done in a blender.)
- Put the chicken back into the soup along with the hominy. Cook another 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with desired garnishes.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Immersion Blenders $15 & Up
Blenders $20 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Hominy $2 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
Sea Salt $3 & Up
Kosher Salt $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.