Easy Buckwheat Breakfast Bowl: Chef Mareya Ibrahim's Groats Cereal Recipe Is a Healthy, Gluten-free Breakfast by Mareya Ibrahim
In Egypt, we didn’t have boxed cereal, so this was our morning wake-up call. There was nothing better than the smell of the buckwheat simmering, coconut and cinnamon wafting through the air. Despite the name, there’s no wheat in here, so it’s gluten-free. It’s also referred to as groats. This comes together in a flash if you precook the buckwheat in the rice cooker, and the best part is, you can eat it hot or cold.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 to 50 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked buckwheat, rinsed
- 2 cups homemade almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, crushed
- ground cinnamon
Here's how to make it:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the buckwheat and 2 cups water and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the cooked buckwheat, cinnamon and dates. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until the milk has somewhat reduced and the mixture has thickened.
- For each serving, scoop 1/2 cup of the steeped buckwheat into a bowl and pour 1/4 cup of the milk over it. Top with a spoonful of shredded coconut, some currants, walnuts and a pinch of cinnamon. Delish-ness! Makes four 1/2-cup servings.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
The Clean Eating Handbook: 31 Essential Rules to Health, Wellness, and a Fabulously Fit Life (Kindle) Free
Rice Cookers $15 & Up
Buckwheat $4 & Up
Almond Milk $3 & Up
Ground Cinnamon $2 & Up
Dates $4 & Up
Unsweetened Shredded Coconut $3 & Up
Dried Currants $5 & Up
Walnuts $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.