Corned Beef & Cabbage Recipe: This Easy Traditional Irish Boiled Dinner Is What You Need to Serve on St. Patrick's Day by 30Seconds Food
What are you serving for St. Patrick's Day? It's said that corned beef was used in place of bacon by Irish immigrants in the 19th century. Great idea! Here's an easy recipe for a traditional corned beef and cabbage boil many serve for St. Patrick's Day. Some like the spice packet that comes with the corned beef brisket added to the water, some don't. It's your call.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 1/2 - 3 hours
- 1 3- to 4-pound corned beef brisket with spice packet (spice packet is optional)
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1 pound small red potatoes, cut in half or quartered
- 4 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into wedges
- prepared horseradish or stone-ground mustard (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Put the corned beef brisket and contents of spice packet, if using, into a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the bay leaves, if using, and season with black pepper.
- Add enough water to cover the brisket. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until meat is almost tender, about 2 hours.
- Add the carrots, onion and potatoes. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, cover and simmer about 20 minutes more, or until vegetables and meat are tender. Remove bay leaves. Slice meat and serve with the vegetables and prepared horseradish or mustard, if desired.
Have leftovers? (Of course you do!) Here are a few ways to use them:
Make a reuban sandwich using rye bread, cheese, sauerkraut, sliced or chopped leftover corned beef and mustard. Serve hot.
Fry some chopped potatoes and make a corned beef hash topped with a fried egg.
Use sliced leftover corned beef on a cold sandwich in place of your regular lunchmeat.
What's your favorite way to eat corned beef brisket?
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Dutch Ovens $10 & Up
Irish Cookbooks $3 & Up
Stone-Ground Mustard $3 & Up
Prepared Horseradish $2 & Up
Corned Beef Spices $3 & Up
Bay Leaves $4 & Up
Sauerkraut $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.