Skillet Cheese & Vegetable Enchiladas Recipe: The Meatless Monday Recipe You've Been Looking For by 30Seconds Food
These hearty cheese enchiladas will satisfy your Mexican food cravings and fill you up – and you won't even miss the meat! If you like spice, use a poblano pepper. Not so much? A red bell pepper adds sweetness and no spice. You choose!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper or poblano pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 - 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14 ounces) enchilada sauce or homemade enchilada sauce
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- flour tortillas
- garnishes: fresh chopped cilantro, jalapenos, sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, salsa (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the red bell pepper or poblano pepper and onion, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook about 1 minute. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Pour about a 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of the skillet.
- To make enchiladas, divide the vegetable mixture, black beans and 2 cups of the cheese between the tortillas. Roll up and place on top of the enchilada sauce, seam side down.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Cover the skillet with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until enchiladas are hot and bubbly, about 15 to 20 minutes. Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Garnish with desired toppings and serve.
Note: If you want really saucy enchiladas, use two cans of enchilada sauce.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cast Iron Skillets $12 & Up
Enchilada Sauce $2 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Cumin $2 & Up
Black Beans $1 & Up
Flour Tortillas $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.