Meatless Monday: Cast Iron Skillet Cheese & Veggie Enchiladas Are a Hearty Vegetarian Dinner by 30Seconds Food
Not eating meat for Lent? These hearty cheese enchiladas will satisfy your Mexican food cravings and fill you up – and you won't even miss the meat! If you like spice, use a poblano pepper. Not so much? A red bell pepper adds sweetness and no spice. You choose!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper or poblano pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 - 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14 ounces) enchilada sauce or homemade enchilada sauce
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- flour tortillas
- garnishes: fresh chopped cilantro, jalapenos, sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, salsa (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the red bell pepper or poblano pepper and onion, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook about 1 minute. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Pour about a 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of the skillet.
- To make enchiladas, divide the vegetable mixture, black beans and 2 cups of the cheese between the tortillas. Roll up and place on top of the enchilada sauce, seam side down.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Cover the skillet with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until enchiladas are hot and bubbly, about 15-20 minutes. Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Garnish with desired toppings and serve.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cast Iron Skillets $12 & Up
Enchilada Sauce $2 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Cumin $2 & Up
Black Beans $1 & Up
Flour Tortillas $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.