Beef & Bean Enchilada Casserole Recipe: This Mexican Ground Beef Recipe Is Dang Delicious by Donna John
If you love a good taco casserole, then this enchilada casserole with meat, beans, cheese and spiked with garlic-laced sour cream is sure to be put in the recipe rotation. It's easy to make and a budget-friendly recipe.
Ground beef is cooked along with onion, chili powder, ground cumin, pinto beans and green chiles. The casserole is layered with the ground beef mixture, a garlic sour cream, enchilada sauce, corn tortillas and then topped with shredded cheddar cheese. The Mexican casserole bakes in the oven until hot and bubbly.
To cut out some calories, only use half a pound of ground beef, low-fat sour cream and low-fat cheese. You could also use ground turkey. Spoon the casserole onto your plate and top with chopped fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, guacamole, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onion, salsa or your favorite taco-like toppings.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 - 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- optional garnishes: chopped fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, guacamole, chopped tomato, salsa
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the sour cream, flour and garlic powder. Set aside. (Don't dirty a bowl and mix this in the container the sour cream comes in.)
- Brown the ground beef and onion until meat is cooked through. Drain off fat. Add the ground cumin, chili powder, pinto beans and green chiles with their liquid. Turn off heat.
- Put half of the tortillas on the bottom of a rectangular casserole dish.
- Top with half of the meat and bean mixture.
- Dollop half of the sour cream mixture over the top. Gently smooth to cover the meat.
- Pour half of the enchilada sauce over the top.
- Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese has melted. Serve with optional garnishes.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.