Most-Requested 4-Ingredient French Chicken Recipe for the Chicken Dinner Win by Donna John
Bottled french salad dressing, dry onion soup mix and apricot preserves? If this chicken recipe sounds a little strange to you, know you are not alone. But hold on! This saucy french baked chicken was délicieuse (delicious)!
This french chicken recipe is not named french chicken as in the country of origin, but because of the french salad dressing used to prepare it. French dressing is an American dressing, funny enough, and available on the salad dressing aisle at most U.S. grocery stores. French salad dressing is creamy, and can range in color from pale orange to bright red. The main ingredients in french salad dressing is oil, vinegar and sugar.
This oven-baked chicken dinner has simple preparation and ingredients. Season the chicken with black pepper and salt and place it into a casserole dish. Mix together a bottle of french salad dressing, a package of dry onion soup mix and a small jar of apricot preserves. Pour the sweet sauce over the chicken and bake in the oven, basting occasionally, until cooked through.
My favorite part were the little bits of apricot from the preserves and the once-dried bits in the onion soup mix that added texture and flavor. If you don't have apricot preserves, try peach or even orange marmalade instead. If you don't have premade onion soup mix, try this homemade onion soup blend recipe.
Give this easy four-ingredient budget chicken recipe a try. I bet it becomes a requested recipe for dinner.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Total Time: 50 minutes to 1 hour and 5 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 4 - 8 bone-in chicken pieces or boneless chicken thighs (I used bone-in thighs)
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) french salad dressing (I used Wish-Bone Deluxe French Dressing)
- 1 package dry onion soup mix (I used Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix)
- 1 jar (10 ounces) apricot preserves (I used Smucker's Simply Fruit Apricot Preserves)
Here's how to make it:
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and put it into a baking dish.
- Combine the salad dressing, soup mix and preserves in a bowl. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken, making sure to cover the chicken completely.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of your chicken pieces. Baste occasionally with the sauce.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.