Food for Lent: Torrijas (Sweet Fried Bread) Are Spain's Answer to French Toast by 30Seconds Food
Torrijas are fried bread from Spain that is similar to our french toast. The simple recipe is popular during Lent and can be eaten any time of the day.
- 1 day-old baguette, cut into 1-inch diagonal slices
- 4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 eggs
- oil, for frying
- cinnamon-sugar, for serving
Here’s how to make it:
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, sugar and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil and then immediately turn off the heat. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Put the bread in a casserole dish in one layer. Pour the milk over the bread (throw the cinnamon stick away) and let it soak for about an hour.
- Put the eggs into a bowl and beat well.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet. Add a few slices of the soaked bread and fry for about 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove to a paper towel. To serve, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.